Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rack 'em Up: Bikes that is

So our first state has plans drawn up to build a bike parking facility instead of having your regular municipal lot for cars. It's cool because:
  • Less space will be used compared to the parking lot
  • It encourages people to get active and cycle to work as they'll have a place to park their bikes
  • It will create an urban green space aka a park in the city


One think I found odd though was that the parking lot was only one level. I feel like in cities there are multilevel parking garages to get the most out of the base space they have. Also, how use full will this be during the brutal northeast winter? I mean Delaware can get snow right? And lots of rain too right? It's not Arizona where it's sunny and dry out 99% of the time. I wouldn't want to bike to work in the rain or snow - I'd want to drive! Actually, I'd never want to ride a bike...flipping over the handle bars of my bike as a kid has traumatized me for life. I'd rather walk than ride a bike!

One last thought - will bike theft go up if they build it? On ABC's What Would You Do? they had different people cutting the chain off the bike. Of course the white guy got away with it, people called the cops on the black guy in the same scenario, and people helped the pretty blond girl steal the bike! Maybe I should try "stealing" a bike and see what happens...

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment