Tuesday, May 11, 2010

6th Post - Schmoo-ve Over!

So I'm perusing The Dieline and come across this drink, found in the UK, called Schmoo that had been re-branded/package redesigned.
Now before you scroll down and look at the product packaging ask yourself the following: "What kind of drink is Schmoo?" From just the name alone it could be the combination of these things
  • Schwepps + Milk
  • Schnitzel + Milk
  • Schnapps + Moon Pies
Yea, none of those sound too great - so the name isn't that descriptive. Schmoo is actually an organic lassi drink, which (for all of you going "huh? that doesn't help") is like an Indian smoothie. It looks pretty delicious though:

The bottle reminds me a little bit of an old school milk bottle. You know, like the glass ones the milk man used to deliver. It makes a lot of sense because the drink base is yogurt, which is of course dairy. So maybe the packaging helps to tell the consumer what they are getting and not the name.

I bet if you said "Schmoo" some people might this of this fellow:
Shmoo! He's a odd creature who knows Lil' Abner and the Flintstones. You also might have noticed that Shmoo is oddly armless and doesn't look like something good to drink at all either. I wonder if this will confuse people because in terms of pronunciation Schmoo = Shmoo. Although, in all honesty, I when I think schmoo, I just think of people trying to be cute and pronouncing "you" incorrectly when they see someone they like. But that's just me...and now I'm thirsty and wanting to watch Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment