Thursday, May 13, 2010

8th Post - Color Me Glad

Back in the 1st grade I participated in the school's science fair and did a project about how rainbows are formed. Ever since then I've been obsessed with color, and lots of it! For instance, I like color coding thing, putting objects in ROYGBV order, and back in the day I had to have the biggest Crayola set out there. I think I even used to refer to some colors by their Crayola name...actually I still do that sometimes. Another example of my relationship with color is in my wardrobe. One snowy day back in college my roommates and I assembled a coat rack and put all of our jackets on it. All of theirs were black, and mine were red, yellow, and blue.

So if you haven't figured it out by now I kinda love color and came across this video about Pantone while surfing the net:


It's pretty crazy how many colors Pantone makes. Oddly enough, when coordinating the Tufts University orientation, I had a guy at a silk screening company ask me "what's the Pantone? Gimme that and I'll match it." It was actually really important to get the right color on the t-shirts because Tufts had just changed its word mark making school branding especially important that year, so we had to use the university approved Pantone colors. I understand why we had to be so particular with the printing more today than I did back then. Think about it - if one day you're watching tv and a the Jolly Green Giant comes on to sell you peas, and he's not the right shade of green you're going to be like "huh?". There's a lot of color recognition out there so it's important for a brand to keep it consistent overtime. Otherwise the consumer might start scratching his head in confusion. Ah! -- and in case you were wondering, my favorite Pantone color is 16-4427-TCX. Well favorite out of the hundred i looked at, I didn't have time to go through 5,000+ colors!

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment