Sunday, May 9, 2010

4th Post - Mother's Day

Last night, thanks to a Facebook movement, Betty White was the host of SNL. What also made it special was many former female cast members came back as guests on the show. I thought that of the better sketches featuring White was with Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon, who brought back the old favorite of "NPR's The Delicious Dish". I wish I could embed a Youtube video of it, but NBC is pretty good at policing and removing the clips that are infringing the copyright. Basic overview of the sketch - White played baker Florence Dusty who was showing off her "muffin" to Shannon and Gasteyer and revealed her latest creation - The Dusty Muffin. I think it might rival the Schweddy Balls of Alec Baldwin, but mainly because of the SNL alumnae, but White played her part well.

Anyway...today is Mother's Day and I didn't take my mom out because I'm on-call for work. I don't think she minded though. As long as no one is annoying her or asking her for something she's pretty much set. Also, she normally doesn't like the gifts I get her. I only buy what she tells me to get, and this time she didn't tell me anything.

One great thing about my mom is she always took care of me when I was sick - bringing me meds, lots of oj, chicken noodle soup and of course tissues. And it's kind of a stretch as being a relevant transition - but look at this cool packaging design that Kimberly-Clark came up for Kleenex:

It's wedged slices of watermelon, orange and lime! Yes, it's definitely kind of weird pulling tissues from what looks like food, but what a good marketing strategy for the summer.
I'm guessing summer is the season with the lowest revenues for facial tissue use because in the winter people are likely to be sick with the flu and in the spring and fall people have allergies. In the summer sickness and allergies aren't really a factor so they need to something to boost sales - and these just scream "buy me as part of your summer decor!". A box of Kleenex is fairly inexpensive too, so the consumer probably doesn't feel that bad buying primarily for decorative purposes. Pretty smart Kimberly-Clark, pretty smart indeed.

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment