Monday, June 7, 2010

Dumpling Dairy - Attempt #1

Yay Google! Blogger is fixed! Now I can blog!!

So the boyfriend was nice enough to order this cook book with his other stuff so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping and I finally made my first attempt at making dumplings from scratch. Now don't get me wrong, I've made dumplings before - just always bought the wrappers from stores, never made them myself.

I started with the first recipe in the book, because it seemed simple enough...three hours later I had dumplings. The wrappers were a lot trickier than I thought they would be - they stuck to everything and I had to keep using more flour - I don't think the humid weather was helping either.

Check out the photos I took along the way of my pork and nappa cabbage water dumplings!



The filling: mainly pork, nappa cabbage & scallion


The dough, tortilla press and the start of the wrappers!


Rolled out with my dowel rolling pin - the middle (aka the belly) is thicker for better wrapper to filling ratio, mine aren't that circular - guess i need more practice


Cooking them up!


Finished pea pod and pleated crescent shapes


That one is a flower bud shape - kinda...


The in the middle is a poor attempt at closed satchel - guess I need a lot more practice before trying to make soup dumplings

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment