Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

So I finally finished reading Steig Larsson's 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and I just don't see why it's a best seller.

Maybe there was just too much hype - for the past year I feel like every time I'm at a coffee shop, airport or beach I saw someone reading that book. It's also been in the front displays of all the major bookstores and is a New York Times best seller. Perhaps I just noticed it more because of it's easy to recognize neon green and yellow book cover (image via Amazon)



Here's what I thought about the book:
  • Super boring beginning: I probably started the book 4 different times unable to get past page 50, until the 5th try.
  • Un-intriguing mystery: I never really cared about who committed the murder, it wasn't a page turner like a traditional murder mystery, it was just dull
  • Mystery solved, but ending not in sight: you find out the resolution to the mystery, but there's a 100 pages left in the book still! 100 pages of stuff that I didn't care about at all and didn't really add much to the plot at all, since it already peaked
  • Too much violence: It was graphic violence - I'm pretty surprised they made a movie out of it already and are going to make an American version of it as well
Overall - not worth the time to read, unless you're bored out of your mind and there are no other books around because you're trapped in the house due to a natural disaster. Equally bad books that were best-sellers and did not live up to the hype The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night- Time.

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment