Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Container Contest...

So I'm reading me normal blogs and I come across this post about Dekalb Market having Not Just A Container: A contest! Basically they're going to have an outdoor market where every vendor is housed in a standard steel shipping container - It's actually pretty amazing some of the stuff they make out of these containers, check some shipping container houses here. The contest is to design any container you want with the guidelines of creativity, sustainability, design and community impact. If you win, you actually get to build it. So I had recently downloaded Google Sketch Up and decided to give it a shot - unfortunately the results are poor at best:

The idea was a bouldering cave/sitting area in the container, because I imagined that outdoor market type people would also like climbing and sitting. I think it might have went better if I watched more than just the intro vids for Sketch Up - oh well

Here's the frame - in my mind it was sustainable because recycled wood - or some other green material would have been used to make it.



This is when all the framing would be walled in


That's part of the wall being having the holds and a couch for sitting. It was actually pretty hard to make all the holds, which is why only one section is covered. It might look better in this pic because it's so small, but seeing the CAD drawing they are really nothing like really rock climbing gym holds. The couch looks super good because it's one of the objects that comes with Sketch Up - I just made it purple.


So looks like I won't be winning any design contests, but doing this sure ate up some of the time I was super bored.

~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment