Monday, February 21, 2011

Experimental Baking: S'mores Cupcakes

So I needed to bring something in for the Superbowl Party at work and since the graham cracker cupcakes turned out so well with the key lime, I decided to mix it up and do them with chocolate instead. Same recipe as before, except I actually put a mini marshmallow in the center before baking the mini-cupcakes. I wouldn't bother with this because the marshmallow melted and kind of baked out in the process. It didn't seem to add any flavor, maybe it was slightly sweeter, but the difference was minimal in taste and bake time.

Instead of traditional frosting I dipped them twice in chocolate ganache, letting the ganache set up some between dippings. I probably wouldn't have had to double dip if I left the ganache cool down so it could get thicker before dipping, but I was impatient.

Here's the ganache:

It was pretty simple to make here's the recipe I used:
9 oz of chocolate chips (1 1/8 cups)
1 cup heavy cream

Heat the heavy cream until it just start to boil, then pour it over the chocolate chips and whisk until the mixture is smooth.

Here are how my s'mores cupcakes turned out looking:





I used one marshmallow on top as decoration, but I think I'll put more on next time so it's closer to the actually s'more ratio of ingredients.

I also had one ganache casualty, it still tasted good though:


~emy

No comments:

Post a Comment